[Linux-aus] NBN discussion

Peter Lawler linux-aus at bleeter.id.au
Tue Jul 2 18:46:12 EST 2013

On 02/07/13 16:29, Russell Stuart wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-07-02 at 16:00 +1000, Peter Lawler wrote:
>> As I'm an alleged retired-retired-retired Pidgin hacker
>
> Ahahh!  So you are one of the slack arsed bastards who never got around
> to implementing Skype in libpurple.  :D

There is Skype4Pidgin, but it's still reliant on some Skype stuffs. For
this reason, it's not released with Pidgin. The enthusiasm for REing the
rest is very very very low (also, those in Pidgin with an interest in
this are kinda waiting to see what MS does with their MSN - they enabled
XMPP on it then announced they were killing it off for Skype, who knows
what they may do when MSN does get killed, convert Skype to some XMPP
thing?! Weirder things have happened before with MS ;)

The Skype4Pidgin code itself is done by the rather excellent Kiwi hacker
(read: rather crazy), Mr Eion Robb.

http://eion.robbmob.com/
https://code.google.com/p/skype4pidgin/

For the record, there's currently a tiny bit of noise about REing Google
Hangouts and Apple iMessage for use in Pidgin, but as always the
time/effort/contributors thing. If anyone out there has done some RE
hacking on these (or other protocols, for that matter), please
contribute! :) http://imfreedom.org/wiki/Main_Page

But we'd much rather have Google and Apple just open their protocol (or
any other vendor for that matter). I'm kinda hopeful Google will. Not so
much Apple or MS.

P.