[Linux-aus] NBN discussion

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.it.consulting at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 17:06:00 EST 2013

On 02/07/13 01:23, David Newall wrote:
> Might I suggest that discussions about Skype, or products with other
> proprietary protocols, are not very interesting, particularly on a
> mailing-list devoted to open-systems?

Perhaps what you meant to say was:-

Closed source, and *especially* software "solutions to problems" *not*
available for Linux, are *problems* that should be discussed on this list.

I can only speak for myself, but I'm happy to read of what people use
that isn't available for Linux, or isn't available under an Open Source
license *for Linux*. If people want to do something with software, or
hardware, and can't find a Linux solution (preferably Open Source
licensed) it sucks. And the more it sucks the more important this
community know about it - to suggest alternatives and/or gauge the
demand for the development of solutions.

Off-topic discussions aren't productive, but they are the nature of
lists (and any organisation). The trick is to turn them into something
useful (a trick I'd like to learn), and if they stray off-topic, gently
steer them back on.

Kind regards