[Linux-aus] NBN discussion

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.it.consulting at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 01:16:33 EST 2013

On 02/07/13 00:19, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Jul 2013, Russell Coker <russell at coker.com.au> wrote:
>> The current situation is that if you sign a mobile phone contract you can
>> port  the phone number from your previous mobile phone to the new
>> phone.  If you sign a fixed-line contract you can port the phone number
>> from your previous fixed-line.

>> But you can't port what used to be a
>> fixed-line number to a mobile phone unless you use some form of SIP
>> forwarding

Technically you can't "port" a landline number to a mobile in this
country. Only forward it (routing).
What you describe is "porting" (transferring) the landline number to a
SIP, you can then access the SIP on the mobile - if it supports it
(smart), or any other internet enabled device.

>> , which while technically possible is a bit difficult for the
>> typical pensioner and will require significantly more effort and expense
>> than just porting a number from one provider to another.
> http://www.internode.on.net/residential/phone_and_voip/nodephone_voip/terms_and_conditions/#Setup
>
> Internode has a good VOIP offering.  They charge $29.95 to port a fixed-line
> number to VOIP.
>
> http://www.internode.on.net/residential/phone_and_voip/nodephone_voip/
>
> Internode rates start at $5 per month.  If you were to use your mobile phone
> as a VOIP device then you would probably use the GSM service for making calls
> so for only receiving calls that would be a fixed $5 per month.  Internode has
> a free VOIP offering for broadband/NBN customers, but $5 per month will be the
> fee if you use another provider.  Also the Internode web site doesn't allow
> you to order NodePhone without buying hardware from them ($100+).
>
> https://secure2.internode.on.net/nodetools/coverage-checker
>
> The above has Internode's coverage checking script that also determines number
> portability.  Apparently not all exchanges support porting numbers.
To Internode....

You can port numbers from all exchanges.

> Does anyone know of a cheaper option than Internode for porting a current
> fixed-line number?

There are a few options - depends on your location (Kew?) and where you
got the landline number (porting mobile numbers is a pretty is a pretty
simple process as they are just bound to carriers and a nation,
landlines are bound to localities, billing profiles, and carriers).
Around $10 is usual. After that costs vary (Internode is not cheap).

Some candidates (I don't know how many port, or port numbers from your
area):-
http://www.marketclarity.com.au/voip/

Kind regards, Scott Ferguson