[Linux-aus] Accounting on Linux

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Sat Jan 26 14:23:52 EST 2013

On Sat, 26 Jan 2013, Scott Ferguson wrote:

> For larger companies *ledgerSMB* is popular

I used LedgerSMB (and formerly SQL-Ledger) for a 1-2 person business in
Canada.  I was very happy with it.

> Cons - same as GNUCash
> Pros - integrates into CMR and ERP, strong community, very flexible and
> extendible (Perl), also has features the commercial alternatives don't have.

LedgerSMB allows you to load a country-specific template to set up a
business in the system (I believe it would happyily support multiple
businesses in one instance but never tried this), making it very flexible.
Not sure if GNUCash works this way too.

> GST support - easily implemented

LedgerSMB (and SQL-Ledger) certainly supported Canadian GST (and
provincial taxes) in the template.  When a new tax was introduced (and old
ones removed) it was nearly trivial for me to update the template.

I'd be surprised if the Australian template didn't cover Australian GST.

Cheers,

Rob

--
Email: robert at timetraveller.org		Linux counter ID #16440