[Linux-aus] Accounting on Linux

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.it.consulting at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 13:56:20 EST 2013

> On 26/01/13 12:41, Brenda Aynsley wrote:
>> On 26/01/13 09:17, Paul Parker wrote:
>>> In discussion of the Treasurers Report 2012  was brief mention of
>>> software currently or proposed to be used.
>>>

>>> Have things improved with accounting packages for Linux ?
>>>
>> I'm told that the big two offer online accounting now that might work
>> for a SMEs in the linux world.
<gently>

>> http://online.reckon.com.au/

Proprietary, Microsoft and Mac only, webserver and app running and
hosted on MS Server 2008.

>> http://liveaccounts.myob.com.au/
Proprietary, Microsoft and Mac only, at website served from Apache -
appears to be running on Linux.

>> Don't know how good or bad they are but for small businesses might be an
>> option.

I understood the Grandparent to be a question about GNU/Linux friendly
accounting packages.
And it is *Linux*.org.au

Neither of the products you suggest are GNU/Linux friendly and, IMO, the
use of them doesn't promote Linux (the kernel, and whatever userland you
choose to run on it).

There is at least one major company that use GNU/Linux to host a popular
SAAS, web based accounting product for Australian companies - but I
don't think it's germane to the question (or forum).

>> Cloud is in after all apparently :)

It's certainly popular with sales :)
And if the lowest common denominator agrees, then what could possibly go
wrong?  ;)
https://103.1.185.162/cloud/cloud.html

>> cheers
>> brenda