[Linux-aus] Accounting on Linux

Scott Ferguson scott.ferguson.it.consulting at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 11:04:12 EST 2013

> On 26/01/13 09:47, Paul Parker wrote:
>> In discussion of the Treasurers Report 2012 was brief mention of
>> software currently or proposed to be used.
>>

>> Have things improved with accounting packages for Linux ?

That, intentionally or otherwise, is a loaded question I'm not going to
address. Suffice to say that Google will yield you a lot of results that
include a high number of articles that are neither unique or, um, well
researched.

>> <snipped>
>>

>> Which packages do Linux Australia and members consider suitable (and
>> simple) for individuals and small businesses, around Australia ?

NOTE: I'm only referring to packaged solutions that run natively on Linux.

*The main two*

For small businesses with no employees. *GNUCash*
Cons - doesn't do direct BAS submission (but probably could be modified
to do so), many accountants are unfamiliar with it, likewise
bookkeepers; cash only, doesn't do accrual
Pros - traditional double-entry format, requires lower resources than
the closed source alternatives, any support costs stay in Australia,
very customisable and extendible (Python), strong community support,
very flexible reporting styles that will make a good accountant happy,
has many features the popular commercial "alternatives" don't have like
ability to deal with multiple currencies.

GST support - use the GNUCash forums for details.
for non-GST registered business just modify the invoice template to show
"not registered for GST" and don't charge it.
for GST registered modify invoice to show the word "Tax" in front of
invoice, and choose one of two methods for accounting for GST (I favour
split transactions).

For larger companies *ledgerSMB* is popular
Cons - same as GNUCash
Pros - integrates into CMR and ERP, strong community, very flexible and
extendible (Perl), also has features the commercial alternatives don't have.

GST support - easily implemented

Some others (various licences):-
XTuple PostBooks
(http://www.xtuple.com/postbooks)
Compiere
(http://www.compiere.com/)
TurboCASH (http://www.turbocash.net/)
Grisbi
(http://www.grisbi.org/)
Lazy8Ledger (http://sourceforge.net/projects/lazy8ledger/)
SQL-Ledger (http://www.sql-ledger.com/)
oSFinancials (http://www.osfinancials.org/en/)
PreeBooks (http://sourceforge.net/projects/phreebooks/)

>> Are stats for most popular accounting packages on Linux in Australia viewable ?

I don't know. Many of the companies I've dealt with that use Open Source
(and FLOSS) are not keen on advertising where they save money. I don't
know how representative that is of the entire business community where a
significant number of larger enterprises *don't* use commercial
products. Off-the-shelf solutions are only useful for off-the-shelf
business.

You could try Debian Popularity Contest (popcon.debian.org) and survey
the forums of GNUCash and ledgerSMB.

>> Paul.

I hope that helps.

Though you don't ask...

Q. Is there room for improvement in the two main solutions I've mentioned?
A. Yes.

Q. Would that be a good project for Linux Australia to initiate and/or
support?

A. Perhaps.
I 'suspect' BAS support for GNUCash 'might' be a project that would
enhance the take up of GNU/Linux - but then I'm biased and find
double-entry methods preferable to the Quicken/MYOB way of dealing with
accounts.

Kind regards, Scott Ferguson