[Linux-aus] Linux, Open-Source and the young-people.

David Lyon (Hackerpads) david.lyon at hackerpads.com
Wed Jan 23 18:38:31 EST 2013

On 23.01.2013 01:59, James Polley wrote:

> (http://lists.linux.org.au/pipermail/announce/2012-December/000148.html
> [6]) and the followup announcing the start of the voting
>
> (http://lists.linux.org.au/pipermail/announce/2013-January/000149.html
> [7]), both of which had a link to
>
> https://www.linux.org.au/membership/index.php?page=view-election&id=19
> [8]

Correct.

I'm personally not complaining because at that time I wasn't a member
so
was ineligible to apply.

If the committee want to put on some of the idea's discussed here I'd
be
happy to assist in that.

In all honesty, Brazil isn't as good as USA, Japan or Germany to send
people
as there are some relevant security issues particular to there that
deserve
discussing first - then see.

If I was to suggest anything, it would be to:

  a) assign a sponsorship budget for the year

  b) choose appropriate conferences in i) Europe ii) Asia iii) USA

  c) work on what needs to be done to get under 25yr delegates
     to talks at the decided events.

  d) work on a support structure to allow it to be a small group rather
     than just individuals. Often its safer to have a few friendly
     faces about than just throw young people at a strange city
     with languages they may not know and expect them to find things.

     With enough notice, people can book things such as leave if they
     have permanent (unrelated) employment.

Realistically, in a first year of an outward looking viewpoint as this,
even only organizing one trip to one conference would be an
achievement.

For a range of reasons that I won't elaborate on here, Europe and Asia
are the best destinations with less complications than other regions.

David