[Linux-aus] Linux, Open-Source and the young-people.

D.Jitnah danyj at greenwareit.com.au
Wed Jan 23 11:47:09 EST 2013

Hi David, Neil and all,
> On 14.01.2013 19:39, Neill Cox wrote:
> Also, we need more fresh idea's on what people want.
>
> For me, I think there is a chronic shortage of support for young people
> getting into IT and Linux. In Australia particularly.
Linux Users Victoria (LUV) is also chronically aware of this.  A survey
of members carried out 2 yrs ago, we had only 2 respondants <22 yrs old
out of ~150 respondants, with the majority being 40+.    We are
attempting to promote ourselves and Linux in Universities.

Any ideas would me much welcome.

In that respect, Open Source Industry Australia (OSIA) will also be
looking at the issue of access to courses with high Open Source
content/focus and Linux in Australian institutions (Unis and Tafes).
OSIA is only just starting this so early days yet.

> Operating Systems like Android and even the Apple products provide an
> easier way into Linux than we've ever had before.
>
> Expanding on my idea's before, I can't see why there can't be more
> Linux effort into even arranging coffee or a beer outside at places
> like
> cebit in Hannover and some of the Linux conferences in the States.
We are considering this as well : Coffee&Linux Event in coffee shops in
Melbourne!  (it just happens we may have a  "coffee" venue, but a
Beer&Linux event is also a possibility)  Although these are not linked
to conferences as you are suggesting.

I would definitely also like to see more initiatives to get new blood
into Linux.

Cheers
Daniel