[Linux-aus] Name change election results..

Anthony Towns aj at erisian.com.au
Thu Jan 3 11:38:49 EST 2013

On 3 January 2013 09:26, Brenda Aynsley <bpa at iss.net.au> wrote:
> Only 179 people were interested enough to cast a vote,

Only 72 members voted; the "179 votes" count each of the top three
valid preferences from each vote. Memberdb's vote tallying for
multiple-winner elections is somewhat obscure like that.

The final score:

53	Leave Linux Australia's name unchanged (john_nc28 at inodes.org)
35	Open Source Australia (OSA) (john_nc19 at inodes.org)
23	Open Technology Australia (OTA) (john_nc24 at inodes.org)
There were 111 votes. A candidate needs 56 votes to have a clear majority.

means, as I understand the memberdb code -- and it's been a long while
since I followed it through -- that of the 72 members voting, 53 had
included "LA" in their rankings, 35 had included OSA, and 23 had
included OTA. One way of achieving that outcome would have been people
voting as follows:

  23 voted 1. OTA, 2. LA  -- OSA unranked
  30 voted 1. OSA, 2 LA  -- OTA unranked
    5 voted 1. OSA -- OTA, LA unranked
  14 didn't rank OSA, OTA or LA

In the above hypothetical, *every single voter* would have been voting
for a name change, though the outcome would have been identical to
what we got.

Cheers,
aj

--