[Linux-aus] [LCA2013-Chat] The "Crowd-Sourcing TBL" Fundraiser

Pia Waugh greebo at pipka.org
Tue Feb 26 08:06:33 EST 2013

Hi all,

(sorry to top post)

This is the first time I've had a chance, but just wanted to say a huge
thank you to everyone. I was surprised and really thankful for all the
support we received when we announced we had to crowdsource. I can't give
all the details on a public list of which sponsor did the wrong thing, but
I'm more than happy to brief the Council about it.

I did not expect LA or anyone else to bear any burden from the TBL project
and was happy to crowd source (well actually, I was going to just wear it,
but others convinced me otherwise), and it was an extremely generous thing
for Linux Ausralia and our community to do.

By the time the platform fees were taken from the crowd sourced money we had
about $6k I believe, the balance of $14k would be great. I'm still down
about $3k beyond that due to some other costs apparent only after they left,
but I'm overjoyed it is only $3k and not $23k :)

For my part, I will continue doing my best to do awesome. I have always said
that I owe any and all success I've had to this community and to the
principles and philosophies that we live by. I guess in this case, it is
just a little more tangible than before. But I will treat this as an
investment in me continuing the fight, and I hope to earn back in kudos what
the community has invested in me.

It is worth noting that although it was certainly the biggest and hardest
project I've done to date, I really am pleased with the outcomes. I know a
few people were disappointed with his lca keynote, but he is still a
fascinating guy with a lot of interesting things to say. We got open
internet, open data, open government and data retention into the mainstream
media, we had TBL meet with two Prime Ministers, with senior public servants
and communities across Australia and New Zealand. It created a significant
bump in momentum for all the things we all care about, and really helped set
this year up for bigger and better things.

But yeah, now I know all about dealing with speaker agencies, major
sponsorships, national tour coordination, international relations and
generally how to be a tiny tiny bodyguard :) So am happy to share the
knowledge to anyone who needs it :)

Cheers and many many hugs to all,
Pia

<quote who="Joshua Hesketh">