[Linux-aus] mirror.linux.org.au now out of sync by a year

Steven Hanley sjh at svana.org
Tue Feb 5 17:27:56 EST 2013

On Tue, Feb 05, 2013 at 05:13:17PM +1100, Tim Connors wrote:
> Anyone know the admin for mirror.linux.org.au?
>
> The debian portions of it seems to have been restored from a > 1 year old
> backup or just started syncing to a stale upstream mirror.  It was working
> a few weeks ago, but now gives this on apt-get update:
> E: Release file expired, ignoring
> http://mirror.linux.org.au/pub/debian/dists/testing/InRelease (invalid
> since 369d 9h 53min 9s)

It stopped working when we took the old broken machine completely out of the
loop the weekend prior to linux.conf.au.  It had been suffering disk
problems for a long time and before lca2013 I finally got the set up
entirely on to the new hardware.

However it appears I did not get the debian mirror pulse scripts and
authentication working correctly again.

Now lca is over I plan to spend time this week to get that back to normal.

The mirror faults for the last year were largely due to disk errors.

We have been intending to stop working on mirrroing things LA is not the
authoartive source for, AARNet have a functional mirror now days. When we
first set up m.l.o.a in 2005 the AARNet mirror was not well maintained.

I am somewhat partial to maintaining the debian mirror as it is low
maintenence when working correctly on good hardware. However other
distributions such as ubuntu I had more trouble with when we were
maintaining them actively.

However there are community related projects and the linux.conf.au stuff
that LA can remain the authorative source for.

As for the m.l.o.a admin, they are contactable at mirroring at lists.linux.org.au,
however all threew of us have been on the linux.conf.au organsiing team
(though I have not been as heavily involved and should have spent more time
on m.l.o.a over the past year)

	See You
	    Steve