[Linux-aus] Professionals Australia (formerly APESMA)

Martin Ebourne lists at ebourne.me.uk
Tue Dec 17 18:52:02 EST 2013

On Tue, 2013-12-17 at 17:35 +1100, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Dec 2013 07:08:33 Brenda Aynsley wrote:
> > The ACS (Australian Computer Society) is the recognised professional
> > association for those working in Information and Communications
>
> http://www.acs.org.au/sfia-certification/acs-certification/guidelines
>
> The main purpose of the ACS seems to be to get "certification".  You do a bunch
> of things that they consider to be good and make records of it and then they
> award you with a certification which might theoretically be regarded well by
> some employer at some future time.

ACS certification is recognised (and required) by the Australian
Government for relevant skills related immigration visas. I had to get
an ACS certification/validation of my skills/experience as part of
applying for a permanent residency skills visa. In my case it turned out
to be reasonably straightforward as I had a suitable degree and detailed
evidence of relevant experience.

Cheers,
Martin