[Linux-aus] Professionals Australia (formerly APESMA)

Mike Carden mike.carden at gmail.com
Tue Dec 17 18:00:39 EST 2013

As a middle aged computing professional (and some time hiring manager) I
can say that ACS is not even on my radar when it comes to hiring.

One of the great things about contributing to FOSS is that all by itself,
working on FOSS projects shows what you can do. You can not only display
your tech skills, but you can display the all important ability to work
well with other people, to communicate clearly and to be a genuine asset to
a team. And the reality is that working in teams is what we all need to do.
If you can readily demonstrate that you have submitted patches, docco,
cogent bug reports etc to open an source project or projects, you're
presenting concrete evidence of the kind of interest, commitment and
self-direction that many prospective employers are crying out for.

Certifications, courses and degrees are fine ( I have some myself </grin> )
but they are no substitute for demonstrating that you are engaged,
interested, curious, inventive and have done techie things for the love of
it.

--
MC