[Linux-aus] LCA2013 Sysadmin Miniconf CFP

Ewen McNeill linux-aus at ewen.mcneill.gen.nz
Wed Sep 12 12:52:24 EST 2012

Call for Presentations
Linux.conf.au 2013 Systems Administration Miniconf

As part of the linux.conf.au conference in Canberra, Australia in
January/February 2013 we will be holding a one day mini conference
oriented to Linux Systems Administration.

The organisers of the Systems Administration Miniconf would like to
invite proposals for presentations to be delivered at the Miniconf.
Please forward this CFP to your colleagues, social networks, and other
relevant mailing lists.

This is our 7th year at Linux.conf.au. To see presentations from our
previous years, see the miniconf website http://sysadmin.miniconf.org/.

Presentation Topics
-------------------

Topics for presentations could include (but are not limited to):

Systems Administration, Backups, Security, Dealing with "Bring Your Own
Device", Troubleshooting, Buying Decisions, Virtualisation and Cloud
Computing, DevOps, Enterprise Monitoring and Management, Identity
Management, Two Factor Authentication, Web and Email management, Wiki,
Clustering and High Availability, Log Management, Spam and Virus
Filtering, VOIP, Ticketing systems, Bootstrapping and automated
installation, Configuration Management, Packaging and Provisioning,
Keeping legacy systems functioning.

We strongly welcome topics on best practice, new developments in systems
administration and cutting edge techniques to better manage Linux hosts
and environments.

Presentations should be of a technical nature and speakers should assume
that members of the audience have at least a couple of years experience
in Unix/Linux administration.

Format of Presentations
-----------------------

We are now seeking proposals for presentations at the mini-conference.
We have openings for:

     45 minute double-length presentations
     20 minute full presentations
     10-20 minute "How we do things" presentations
     5-10 minute "lightning talks"

Please note, due to the single day available, we expect the majority of
available timeslots to be 20 minutes long or less.

The 10-20 minute "How we do things" presentations are intended for
people to talk about their sites. Information could include: Servers,
talks, tools, people and roles, experiences, software, operating
systems, monitoring, alerting, provisioning etc. The intent is to give
attendees a picture of what is happening in the "real world" and some
understanding of how other sites work, as well as offer you a chance to
get suggestions on other tools and practices that might help your site.
Discussion of "lessons learned" through really trying to use some of
these things are especially welcomed.

Submitting talks
----------------

Please note that in order to give a presentation or attend the miniconf
you must be signed up for the main linux.conf.au conference. Presenting
at the Miniconf does not entitle you to discounted or free registration
at the main conference nor priority with registration. Unfortunately the
Miniconf has no budget for sponsorship of speakers.

Submissions should be made via:

http://sysadmin.miniconf.org/proposal13.html

Questions should be sent to:

lca2013 @ sysadmin.miniconf.org

Dates and Deadlines
-------------------

To encourage early submissions priority (both of inclusion and
scheduling) will be given to presentations submitted before the 1st of
October.

     2012-10-01 - Deadline for early submissions
     2012-10-08 - Early submissions confirmation
     2012-11-01 - Deadline for submissions
     2012-11-15 - Confirmation of all presentations
     2013-01-28 - Start of Linux.Conf.Au

Contact and Questions

Please see our website at http://sysadmin.miniconf.org for more
information on the miniconf, past presentations and presenting at it.

If you have any questions please feel free to email the organisers at:

lca2013 @ sysadmin.miniconf.org