[Linux-aus] LCA2014 update update - what can we do to reduce workload?

Joshua Hesketh josh at nitrotech.org
Sat Sep 1 14:02:37 EST 2012

I'd also like to add there are a lot more things that the LA council
(and community) are  trying to do to help lighten the workload. Some of
these have been executed successfully and some need more people in the
community to help.

For example, the admin team has long been running LA's servers and I'm
sure would be more than happy to help run email/web/other servers for
any LCA team.

zookeepr, the conference management software, has rough edges but is a
solved problem. There is no need for an LCA team to do any hacking as
there is a large group of developers who can help set up and maintain an
instance for your conference (at the very least - hopefully they'll even
add feature requests within reason)..

We have also been trying to get sponsorship and media subcommittees off
the ground. We've made some progress on these but they both need a
little more work (help welcome). With a few extra hands I'm sure we can
get the sponsorship subcommittee to a point where they can handle
arranging ongoing sponsorship deals, finding sponsors, following up,
negotiating and so on. The media team is also able to help publish press
releases and so on for the conferences.

There are people involved in video and networking who know how to do it
for LCA (and do it really well) and would be more than happy to provide
advise if not assistance.

We also have a wiki with documentation on how to run conferences with a
lot of information specific to LCA: http://wiki.linux.org.au/
.Additionally the ghosts meeting helps transfer a lot of this knowledge
and I'm sure most ghosts would be able to help with other certain things
and resources. For example, if you need template announcements/PR's,
mail-merge techniques and so on I'm sure ghosts would be able to step up
and help with that (and add it to the wiki).

Basically the council and the community have a lot of infrastructure and
assistance in place to help a bidding team focus on running a
conference. More importantly there are people within the community who
are invested in making the conference happen and making it great who
would be more than willing to help out. I think any serious bid can take
all of this into considering allowing the local team to worry about what
is left.

Run the conference smarter, not bigger.

Cheers,
Josh