[Linux-aus] question without notice

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Fri Nov 9 19:09:15 EST 2012

On Fri, 9 Nov 2012, Brenda Aynsley <bpa at iss.net.au> wrote:
> It's really about how the FOSS practitioner can establish their bona
> fides to the marketplace.
>
> I was just looking at the Red Hat Certified Engineer blurb at
> http://au.redhat.com/training/certifications/rhce/ and in particular the
> benefits to holding the RHCE which they say are:
>
> Benefits to earning a Red Hat certification:
>
>      Proof of knowledge and skills

This is what the RHCE is about.

> I note that wikipedia at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional
> talks about:
>
> The main criteria for professionals include the following:
>
>      Expert and specialized knowledge in field which one is practicing
> professionally.[5]

Where "expert" can mean anyone who has graduated from a suitable university
course.

>      A high standard of professional ethics, behaviour and work
> activities while carrying out one's profession (as an employee,
> self-employed person, career, enterprise, business, company, or
> partnership/associate/colleague, etc.). The professional owes a higher
> duty to a client, often a privilege of confidentiality, as well as a
> duty not to abandon the client just because he or she may not be able to
> pay or remunerate the professional. Often the professional is required
> to put the interest of the client ahead of his own interests.
>      Reasonable work morale and motivation. Having interest and desire
> to do a job well as holding positive attitude towards the profession are
> important elements in attaining a high level of professionalism.
>      Appropriate treatment of relationships with colleagues.
> Consideration should be shown to elderly, junior or inexperienced
> colleagues, as well as those with special needs. An example must be set
> to perpetuate the attitude of one's business without doing it harm.

The above can all apply.

> How close is that definition to being the criteria that we could use to
> judge a FOSS practitioner?  What's missing? What's irrelevant? How would
> sole traders demonstrate some of the ones lower down on the list, if
> that was thought necessary?

A sole trader could demonstrate them in exactly the same ways as an employee
of a corporation.  The difference is that with a sole trader there's no
confusion over who did the work or who gave the orders.