[Linux-aus] question without notice

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Fri Nov 9 17:04:46 EST 2012

On Fri, 9 Nov 2012, Brenda Aynsley <bpa at iss.net.au> wrote:
> What are the elements that would make the FOSS practitioner a professional?
>
> Is it technical skills and mastery?  Is that enough?  Does Project
> Management and business acumen factor into it?  What else?

Project Management etc would only be a factor if they are doing work that
involves such things.  If we consider Medicine as a career that has high
professional standards, it's quite possible for someone to choose a career in
a hospital or medical center that doesn't involve business skills if they wish
- they can just do what you might call "technical work".

If someone wants a job where they just do technical work 40 hours a week and
have someone else do the project management etc then that doesn't mean that
they are unprofessional.  What is unprofessional is seeking work that you
aren't qualified for, and this is something that is forced by the cultural
expectation that everyone should strive for promotion at all times.

> Can a one person business as some FOSS practitioners are, ever be
> defined as professional?

I think a more reasonable question is whether a multi-national consulting
company who's management is far removed from the needs of the customers can
ever be professional.  If you define professional behavior to include acting in
the best interests of the client even when it's not in your own best interests
then the larger companies seem to have a poor record.