[Linux-aus] ATO - BAS statements... again

daniel.subs at internode.on.net daniel.subs at internode.on.net
Thu May 17 10:20:43 EST 2012

Ubuntu/Debian instructions are
here:http://auskey.itmaze.com.au/how-to/auskey-under-linux
AUSKey only works with Sun java-1.6 and doesn't work with 1.7 or
OpenJDK.
The part glossed over is installing Sun JRE as a plugin under Firefox.
I don't know if the Debian package installs this as the plugin by
default. Look at about:plugins in the URL bar to check.
On Fedora I did the following based on
http://wwwjava.com/en/download/help/linux_install.xml#enable:$ mkdir
~/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/plugins$ cd
~/.mozilla/firefox/*.default/plugins$ find /usr/java -name
*npjp*/usr/java/jre1.6.0_31/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so$ ln -s
/usr/java/latest/lib/amd64/libnpjp2.so
Then disabled the ICEd tea / OpenJDK and enable the Sun
jreabout:plugins to look otherwise Firefox menu -> Addons -> plugins
However the libnpjp2.so is part of a Debian package so look for it.
Could be under /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre looking at the AUSKey
Install script.
To enable javaconsole to get some reasonable error messages:
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/enable_console_linux.xml
I found the Web Developer firefox plugin has a Java Console under the
Tools menu. Needs an applet running before it will show anything.
http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp?detect=jre&try=1 is a
reasonable test page.
I couldn't get it going under chrome.
Don't expect the AUSKey to give meaningfull error messages.
If you get exceptions like:17:42:18,234 ERROR
[au.gov.abrauth.cryptoOps.RequestOperations] - requestOperations,
encryptPrivateKey(...) exception: java.security.InvalidKeyException:
Illegal key size
It means the policy *_policy.jar of the AUSKey package aren't
installed over the top of the standard ones. The install script of the
AUSKey should do this but manually copying the files over the
installed versions works.
If your having troubles post stuff on the forum on the itmaze site
(http://auskey.itmaze.com.au/how-to/auskey-under-linux - good to let
the ATO know we're trying).