[Linux-aus] [SLUG] $11.7m for OLPC Australia in the federal govt budget

Paul Shirren shirro at shirro.com
Wed May 9 13:13:14 EST 2012

On 9/05/12 12:19 PM, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:

> A core belief of OLPC Australia is that technology cannot be
> successfully deployed without teacher training and buy-in from the
> school, children and community. Our programme to address that is
> called One Education: http://www.one-education.org/

If you want to look at the software download Sugar
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Downloads

Or if you want a slow half-arsed laptop wanabee buy a netbook.

And if you want to get involved in an education project, Raspberry Pi
has a much more interesting focus on stimulating interest in programming
and engineering careers. And despite the closed source Broadcom
contribution the project is much less of a cathedral and has actively
sought out community involvement whereas OLPC, apart from a few
conference give aways to the lucky few, is inaccessible to most of us.