[Linux-aus] [SLUG] $11.7m for OLPC Australia in the federal govt budget

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at dhanapalan.com
Wed May 9 12:49:37 EST 2012

On 9 May 2012 11:50, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net> wrote:
> On Wed, May 9, 2012 at 1:03 PM, Sridhar Dhanapalan
> <sridhar at dhanapalan.com> wrote:
>> "The Australian Government is providing over $11 million to support
>> the One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) Program which will deliver over 50,000
>
> Thats pretty awesome. Are OLPC still doing the 'buy one donate one' program?

OLPC Australia (which is an independent entity based in Sydney) does
not run such a programme, for many logistical, educational and
financial reasons. The OLPC Association (which is based in Miami) has
run Give One Get One (G1G1) a few times for limited periods in the
USA.

A core belief of OLPC Australia is that technology cannot be
successfully deployed without teacher training and buy-in from the
school, children and community. Our programme to address that is
called One Education: http://www.one-education.org/

You can fill in the contact form on that site if you would like to
know more, would like to help, or are a school that would like to
participate in the programme.

I am Engineering Manager and I also manage technical support. I'd be
happy to discuss further if you'd like to assist in those areas.

Sridhar

--
"Our mission is to enhance learning opportunities for over 500,000
primary school aged children by providing each one with a connected XO