[Linux-aus] LA Name Change - the process

Stephen Walsh steve at nerdvana.org.au
Tue Jul 24 14:23:57 EST 2012

On 07/24/2012 01:30 PM, James Polley wrote:

>     Compare this with the paperwork to create the Parent Organisation Not
>     Called Linux Australia, then moving Linux Australia under PONCLA,
>     shuffling bank accounts around to be owned by relevant orgs, creating
>     new ones, making sure the audit trail is clear for LA getting seed
>     funding from PONCLA for linux.conf.au <http://linux.conf.au>, but
>     handing back 4 or 5 times
>     that funding to the parent org when it's all done, and this argument
>     doesn't really hold much weight.
>

> I'm not sure where this process came from. Why wouldn't we just be
> updating the name on our existing account?

Are you proposing that under the new scheme that each "sub committee" of
PONCLA won't even have a bank account? Ouch. I feel sorry for the PONCLA
treasurer.

My point is that you can't argue that creating a new entity and
absorbing other orgs already with their own bank accounts is less
paperwork than opening a new bank account for an ongoing event. I've
been there and done it for LA. Twice. It's not that hard, and not that
onerous.