[Linux-aus] LA Name Change - the process

Glen Turner gdt at gdt.id.au
Mon Jul 23 08:48:03 EST 2012

David Lloyd wrote:
> When did Linux Australia do -any- advocacy?

Rather my view.

If the reason for the name change is to ease advocacy, then where is the
rest of the plan to do advocacy?

The name strikes me as a second order issue in moving Linux Australia
from an organisation that provides continuity to a national conference
to a "peak body" for libre software in Australia.

At the moment we have a number of issues which I would have expected
Linux Australia to be advocating about: patents, ACTA, secure boot, and
so on. Search news.google.com.au for "linux australia" -- it's a
wasteland. Why should a name change of itself alter that?

-glen