[Linux-aus] LA Name Change - the process

Brent Wallis brent.wallis at gmail.com
Sat Jul 14 22:37:08 EST 2012

Hi,

On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 1:39 AM, James Turnbull <james at lovedthanlost.net>wrote:

> Donna Benjamin wrote:
> >
> > I find the veiled accusations against the current council of
> > committed volunteers really disheartening. :(
> >
> > Assuming these people are working in bad faith against the
> > organisation and the community seems pretty unfair.
> >

> Especially given they how much time and effort they put into making LA
> and LCA great. Don't like the council? Well congratulations - you have
> recourse. Stand for the LA council yourself!
>
> If this is an issue that matters to members and not just to some alleged
> secret cabal then I am sure you'll be elected in a landslide.

At which I would fail miserably of course.

However, I do believe that I have a right to make my opinion public.
TBH my opinion on this matter is probably a minority one.

Quite honestly people, you are crying crocodile tears at the wrong point.

My argument all along is about how you have gone about this.
It is a significant change that you are obviously passionate about.
You are convinced this is the right thing to do.

So be it.
But please don't moan and groan about people like myself having a say.

I have used the hijack label to hammer home a very important fact around
freedom based democracy:

Despite what you "think" the majority think and want, in the end, you just
could be wrong.
There are many in LA that do not even bother with this or any other list.

Put this to a properly campaigned full vote of LA.
Arguments for AND AGAINST the change to be clearly and succinctly detailed.
A proper ballot held.

You win, we lose.
End of argument.
Making this decision via the committee without a vote, even though the
constitution seems to allow it, is simply thumbing your nose at the
freedoms we are all meant to support.

Rgds
BW