[Linux-aus] AGM, Election, Name Change & Rusty Wrench Award

David Newall davidn at davidnewall.com
Tue Dec 18 17:52:15 EST 2012

On 17/12/12 09:51, Stewart Smith wrote:
>> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~memberdb-owners/memberdb/trunk/view/head:/authenticated/election-result.inc.
> Patches welcome.

To be quite clear on the matter, my observations on the specific ways
the flowchart (and code, both henceforth called "algorithm") are
inappropriate for this issue must not be construed, and were not
offered, as deprecation or criticism.  The algorithm was written for a
purpose which does not include any matter requiring a special
resolution, no matter how similar these two objectives seem on first
thought.

It is entirely possible, after eliminating minority candidates, even (or
especially) with a wide field of candidates, for a committee to be
correctly elected in which no candidate garnered more than, say, 1% of
the vote.  Such is the purpose for which the algorithm was designed.

Voting of resolutions is an entirely different process in which member
are offered only a yes vote or a no vote.  To pass a special resolution,
the no vote need merely exceed 25%.  It would be inconsistent with that
constitutional requirement if due and special consideration were not
made to "no change" votes in this -- what is it? a survey; eliminating
"no change" would only distort members wishes.

The two scenarios are quite different and I fail to see how any person
could reasonably construe my analysis as a claim of a shortcoming with
the algorithm.