[Linux-aus] AGM, Election, Name Change & Rusty Wrench Award

Stewart Smith stewart at flamingspork.com
Mon Dec 17 09:51:44 EST 2012

David Newall <davidn at davidnewall.com> writes:
> On 15/12/12 19:23, Chris Neugebauer wrote:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IRV_counting_flowchart.svg
>>
>> In the case of multi-candidate elections, such as the election of
>> Council members, or the name change vote, the terminating case is not
>> that a candidate has a majority, but that the number of candidates
>> remaining is equal to the number of seats remaining to be filled.
>
> I'm not sure this flowchart is exactly appropriate in this instance, but
> it does cover most of the process.  For example, to change the name at
> least 75% of votes cast must support the change, not a simple majority.
> From this, it follows that if over 25% of votes cast support keeping the
> same name, no distribution of preferences can provide the required
> support needed to change the name.  The flowchart referred to is
> deficient in this regard, as is the PHP code to which Anthony Towns
> directed me, at
> http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~memberdb-owners/memberdb/trunk/view/head:/authenticated/election-result.inc.

Patches welcome.

There are many problems with that codebase but it seems to beat all the
others in two important respects:
1) it actually exists
2) it does most of what we wanted in election and membership software.

These are two requirements that are awfully hard to fufill (the first
especially, as people typically will comment on how something could be
better and never actually implement it).
--
Stewart Smith