[Linux-aus] Access to membership list?

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Mon Dec 17 23:12:33 EST 2012

On Mon, 2012-12-17 at 19:34 +1100, Andrew Donnellan wrote:

> On 17/12/12 18:37, Noel Butler wrote:
> > p6a should be amended to remove the bit of newsletters, if I didn't
> > ask for it, then its a breach under the Spam Act, yes a breach
> > because it would be an individual member sending it, not L.A., and
> > if it was a L.A endorsed newsletter, then, it would be sent by
> > official means which would not require a member seeking access to a
> > members database to do it.
>
> No - if the member is acting as an officer of the association, or by
> the delegated authority of the association, then the association is

As I said, if a member requests the details of members so they can send
UBE, then it breaches the spam act
as it is not a sanctioned broadcast message and not requested., for
instance if you requested all members emails so you can send a
newsletter, it is a breach of the act since you are not officially
sending OBO LA

> In any case, it would only a breach of the Spam Act if the particular
> message falls within the definition of "unsolicited *commercial*
> electronic message" in said Spam Act.

indeed , which is exactly what it would be.

> > I think the Federal Privacy Commissioner would have some serious
> > concerns about some or a lot of S7.
>
> When you sign up to be a member of LA, that implies acceptance of the
> Constitution, which has the legal force of a contract (see

exactly why it needs changing, it is too relaxed, however, the
constitution, can not override federal law

> In any case, by becoming a member of the association, you agree to it,

No, we agree to newsletters from LA, not from "some joe average member"

> Andrew
> (who has spent far too long reading the Associations Incorporation Act
> in recent months)

Cheers
Noel
(who has spent many years as an ISP abuse desk manager)