[Linux-aus] AGM, Election, Name Change & Rusty Wrench Award

Chris Neugebauer chrisjrn at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 08:43:13 EST 2012

As your third paragraph points out, this current election cannot be
binding, and as noted by the secretary, this is only the first round of
three elections - to determine which candidates should be put forward for
binding election.

The second election will have fewer candidates, and the result of that
election will be used by the council to determine whether a special general
meeting should be held. That is to say, none of these online elections have
effect on paragraphs 4 onwards.

This is just a vote to indicate support for various names, and as you point
out, an subsequent binding election must be held. The timing would require
the binding election to be held by the next council. Why not nominate and
influence the process yourself?

--Chris

Sent from a mobile device, whilst mobile.
On 15/12/12 19:23, Chris Neugebauer wrote:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IRV_counting_flowchart.svg
>
> In the case of multi-candidate elections, such as the election of
> Council members, or the name change vote, the terminating case is not
> that a candidate has a majority, but that the number of candidates
> remaining is equal to the number of seats remaining to be filled.

I'm not sure this flowchart is exactly appropriate in this instance, but
it does cover most of the process.  For example, to change the name at
least 75% of votes cast must support the change, not a simple majority.