[Linux-aus] Kids and Conferences

Paul Shirren shirro at shirro.com
Wed Dec 12 09:02:01 EST 2012

On 11/12/12 5:08 PM, Arjen Lentz wrote:
> Hi Michael
>
> Good stuff re the childcare initiatives.

Agreed. Brilliant.

> - scheduling: LCA2013 is in the first week of school in QLD and most
> other states.

Yes, with my wife a teacher and me mostly minding little kids we would
have needed to make alternative child care arrangements. I have done it
before for things like OSDC but probably won't bother attending LCA2013
mainly due to the scheduling. It is much nicer if we can do it as a
family holiday. I can't wait for another one in New Zealand for that
reason, hopefully a week or two earlier.

> - cost: with partner and kids actually attending, the total cost
> becomes prohibitive. I appreciate there are actual costs - stuff
> needs to be paid for, but perhaps there's a way to have a family
> discount of sorts to help with this. After all, isn't it great that
> kids are interested....

My kids are too young to get any value out of the conf but a junior
price would be a nice innovation. The partners program is usually good
value.