[Linux-aus] Kids and Conferences

Arjen Lentz arjen at lentz.com.au
Tue Dec 11 17:38:27 EST 2012

Hi Michael

Good stuff re the childcare initiatives.

I was aiming to bring down (some of) the kids and actually have them attend the conf, as there's plenty that's of interest to them. It didn't work out, for a couple of reasons. I'll enumerate them here in the hope that an LCA team for a future year might find it of use.

 - scheduling: LCA2013 is in the first week of school in QLD and most other states. I'd have, for instance, brought Max (13yo) who loves rocketry and science stuff, but missing the first week of year 9 would be highly disruptive for him.

 - cost: with partner and kids actually attending, the total cost becomes prohibitive. I appreciate there are actual costs - stuff needs to be paid for, but perhaps there's a way to have a family discount of sorts to help with this. After all, isn't it great that kids are interested....

those were the main ones.

Cheers,
Arjen.
--