[Linux-aus] LCA2014 update

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Thu Aug 30 18:24:30 EST 2012

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012, Russell Stuart <russell-linuxaus at stuart.id.au> wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-08-30 at 00:39 +0930, Glen Turner wrote:
> > Fix the sexism problem. Practically, because it is the prime risk to
> > access to university venues; philosophically, because it isn't free
> > software if using it carries a moral cost.

[...]

> > "The community" is a pain in the arse. If you are writing more than two
> > e-mails about one topic which you are not doing anything else to
> > advance, then you are part of the problem.
>
> Indeed.  I cringe whenever I see the accusations of LCA organising teams
> being sexist when in reality tell they go out of their way to encourage
> and engage women.  If you wanted to hold up an example of how women
> should be included in the open source community, you could do a lot
> worse than point to LCA and LA.

Where are these accusations?  Can you give a URL to list archives to ensure
that we are all talking about the same things?

http://etbe.coker.com.au/2011/02/10/lca2011-harassment/

In terms of there being a sexism problem, it seems to me that the biggest
issue for LA and LCA is the general discussion on the mailing lists.  Please
read my above blog post and note that you helped inspire it.  If you want to
encourage and engage women then claiming that reports of harassment are likely
to be false and malicious is the wrong thing to do.