[Linux-aus] LCA2014 update

Andrew Ruthven andrew at etc.gen.nz
Wed Aug 29 10:23:52 EST 2012

On Wed, 2012-08-29 at 09:42 +1000, Steve Dalton wrote:
> One comment from me on this - the bid process itself is quite a bit of
> work.

Yes and no.

You need to have venue options prepared, accommodation options available
(although ideally outsourced) and some idea of what you're going to do
that is new and novel.

But you *need* those to show you have the ability to host a 600+ person
conference and that the venue and so on is available and has been pencil
booked.

Anyone who is preparing a bid should be working with the local
convention bureau if one is available. They provide an ENORMOUS amount
of help. This help ranges from assisting with the bid document to
knowing pretty much all the venues that are available and being able to
arrange visits etc.

For the 2010 bid, they provided a bunch of copy about Wellington and New
Zealand, photos, desktop publishing etc and arranged site tours for when
LA came for their site visit.  With our bid doc every morning we
received an updated document and that night we'd send through updates to
be made, and then the next morning we'd have a new document to review.
That part was actually quite fun.

Cheers!

--
Andrew Ruthven