[Linux-aus] LCA2014 update

Kathy Reid kathy at kathyreid.id.au
Tue Aug 28 19:16:13 EST 2012

All interesting points.

As a potential LCA201* bidder, what is stopping me putting in a bid?

1. Workload

Even outsourcing production, accommodation and many other items, there
is a significant workload involved. At a rough estimate, based on
experience at Ballarat 2012, it's equivalent to a 0.5 FTE workload for
at least 6 months and closer to 12 months. Luckily (?) I don't have a
family to worry about - but LCA organisation strains relationships,
including existing relationships with employers. What would make this
workload more tolerable? If I got accreditation or transferable skills
out of it. For instance, if the core team got PRINCE2 foundation or
PMBOK CMP certification or similar as part of the deal, that would be
the tradeoff.

There's also an element here of 'non-technical' community work being
undervalued compared to technical work. Event management is a discipline
in its own right - just as PR, marketing and governance are. Do we value
these soft skills as a community?

What would make it awesome (and what made LCA2012 awesome) - a great
team of people. They're had to find, and harder to find if they get
swamped two years in a row. In many cases, user groups are the harbinger
of LCA bids, and in terms of a lifecycle, we don't seem to have the
growth in the LUGs that was once there.

Great, motivated, skilled, good to work with people are also highly
valued by paying employers - so they tend to have day jobs.

2.  Community

*takes deep breath and prepares for backlash*

Donna hit the nail on the head when she mentioned toxic community
members. There were times during LCA2012 when I seriously questioned why
I was giving up months of my life for a community which whinged and
moaned about something as trivial as whether a t-shirt came in their
size. Do I really, really, really want to give up half my life for 18
months (6-12 months if we ruthlessly outsource) for a community which
has people that do this?

On the flipside, there are so many *fantastic* members of this community
that balance this out that it's still overall very positive.

But, evidenced by things like the apathy in voting for LCA council, and
dwindling nominations - we must ask ourselves the very tough question
"Does the community still want linux.conf.au, and if we do, how must it
change?"

Perhaps going without linux.conf.au 2014 as a test will see just how
much we really do want this conference.

3. Transferable process and assets

linux.conf.au has been running for several years. Many aspects are
repeatable. Some are even documented.

We just ran the 3rd (4th? I can't remember) BarCampMelbourne. It was
easy - because we'd done it so many times before. We had everything in
place. We re-used websites, branding, surveys. We even re-used
stationery. Different year, different location, different team = less
repeatability.
Perhaps we need to make the branding the same each year so that it's one
more thing that's repeatable.
Ghosts helps with this - but each year is still a different conference
and different location.

So, speaking as a LCA2012 core member, and LCA201* potential bidder -
these are the barriers to me putting in a bid, and forces that would
reduce those barriers.

Kind regards,
Kathy