[Linux-aus] Browser/OS checks - smarthinking.com

Nathan Bailey nathan.bailey at monash.edu
Tue Aug 28 09:11:31 EST 2012

On 27 August 2012 23:02, Adam Nielsen <a.nielsen at shikadi.net> wrote:
>> One of my thoughts is an indirect approach that might work: wouldn't online
>> resources of Australian universities have to comply with federal guidelines
>> on accessibility (even when using an external service provider).
>
> Unfortunately no.  And I say that as a web developer who works for an
> Australian university.  They are serving their staff and students, not the
> general public, so they aren't bound by the same guidelines.

I'm not sure I understand this statement? The accessibility guidelines
apply to all organisations, regardless of their audience. Universities
are particularly exposed because they typically have a very broad user
base, inclusive of many learning difficulties (vision impairment - but
also dyslexia [not strictly a legal accessibility issue]). The most
prominent case in accessibility law is an Australian organisation -
SOCOG (the Sydney Olympic Games).

As for Arjen's original question - it's a lot easier to get people
beyond "Windows-only" by showing mobile device adoption, but that may
only get you to Windows, unless you also include Android. But it is
always worth reporting it - as Bob notes, eventually the weight of
many voices will have an impact.

I'm not sure how accessibility applies to browser specificity (ie. if
they can respond "It is accessible for platform X"). You could check
with Gian Wild (accessibilityoz.com.au) who is an Aussie expert on
this stuff.

Good luck!
Nathan