[Linux-aus] Should we change? Yes. To change is to grow.

James Polley jamezpolley at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 17:57:13 EST 2012

On Mon, Apr 30, 2012 at 4:50 PM, Russell Stuart <
russell-linuxaus at stuart.id.au> wrote:

> On Mon, 2012-04-30 at 16:10 +1000, Chris Neugebauer wrote:
> > Hilariously, you *do* actually know what it's called.  It's "AFL".  In
> > this case, the AFL has done a fantastic job of making themselves
> > completely indistinguishable from the sport they represent (Australian
> > Rules Football) to the casual observer.
>
> After I sent that I wondered if I had embarrassed myself and it was just
> the AFL as you say.
>
> Turns out I got lucky.  According to Wikipedia the name of AFL governing
> body is the "AFL Commission".  It changed it's name in 1993 from
> "Australian National Football Council".  Wikipedia says the name AFL
> refers to the top level league, and it was the thing called the VFL
> prior to 1990.  Maybe there are other Australian Football leagues - like
> under 18's.

Pointless irrelevant pedantry, but..

No. The "AFL Commission" is *not* "the AFL peak body", which is what you
were asking about.

The peak body is, as Chris said, simply called the Australian Football
League. It's a company (ACN: 004 155 211) registered in Victoria.

Australian Football League owns a sub-company, called the AFL Commission,
whose role you have described - but it's not the "Peak Body" analogous to
LA - the AFL Commission is closer to one of LA's subcommittees.