[Linux-aus] Should Linux Australia change its name?

Chris Neugebauer chrisjrn at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 10:29:30 EST 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 10:02, David Lloyd <lloy0076 at adam.com.au> wrote:

> Otherwise it's a discussion that we should have and it's not a foregone
> conclusion...and changing the name isn't the name of the game here.
>
> I would suggest we adjust our aims and objectives (formally) before we
> change the name; or at least at the same time -- and that we adjust the
> e-mail's subject such that it's a discussion about the aims and objectives
> of the organisation.
>
> Is the name change a red herring? I'd suggest it might be. This seems to be
> a deeper issue reaching far beyond what we are called - we're discussing our
> identity here and the name is only a very small part of that.

Linux Australia went through the process of formally stating its
identity, and developing aims and objectives last year.  It resulted
in this document: http://linux.org.au/values

I don't see any large objection to the values statement.

What I *do* see is the name Linux Australia not having a large amount
of relevance to the values statement adopted last year; and I do see
it being restrictive in the face of that values statement.

name no longer reflects that identity to the extent that it should.

--Chris

--
--Christopher Neugebauer

Jabber: chrisjrn at gmail.com -- IRC: chrisjrn on irc.freenode.net --