[Linux-aus] Should Linux Australia change its name?

Brenda Aynsley bpa at iss.net.au
Mon Apr 23 15:40:52 EST 2012

On 23/04/12 14:07, Tim Ansell wrote:
> As much as I think the name Linux Australia is a mis-nomer, it's more
> Open Source/Software Libre Australia I don't think the effort is worth
> the gain.
>
> I have the following points;
>
>   * I'd much prefer the LA committee is out doing awesome things rather
>     then worrying about things like names.
>   * (And to contradict the above) Linux Australia has good brand
>     recognition, logo and similar, abandoning that seems like a bad idea.
>   * Linux is a huge part of the Open Source community.
>   * Nobody is going to be happy with the new name.
>
> I'll probably regret replying to this as it'll all end up in my inbox now :/

as much as I hate 'me too' posts, I think this sums up my views almost
exactly so I too am posting a -1 to name change, let's get on with more
productive matters.

The reality is no one 'new'/outside really appreciates the differences
we all make so Linux Australia as a brand in fact is as good as any to
deliver the messages we want to see imparted and we shouldn't 'mess with
the brand'.

For all I know Linux stands for
"Lively Innovation Now Upholding X' where X= anything you like ;)

cheers
brenda

--
Brenda Aynsley, FACS CP, ACCE Associate, ACS Honorary Life Member