[Linux-aus] Should Linux Australia change its name?

Christopher Yeoh cyeoh at ozlabs.org
Mon Apr 23 13:51:00 EST 2012

On Sun, 22 Apr 2012 15:44:48 +1000
John Ferlito <johnf at inodes.org> wrote:
> Linux.conf.au is our largest and longest running conference and we
> don't believe we need to change its name. The reputation and wide
> recognition of the LCA brand is important to the future of
> linux.conf.au.

Perhaps we could take a lesson from linux.conf.au. There was a time
when people were trying to attach as much as possible  to
Linux.conf.au. But rather than do this a model of allowing people to
test the waters through miniconfs and even a co-conference at LCA was
used. With the idea that when they got enough experience and
exposure/popularity they could host their own completely separate
conference.

So perhaps LA could work on a similar model. Help emerging groups
with similar aims by allowing them to work under the LA
umbrella for a while until they get big enough to stand on their own.

Chris
cyeoh at ozlabs.org