[Linux-aus] Stand up for Linux. Stop Microsoft killing Desktop Linux.

Glen Turner gdt at gdt.id.au
Wed Sep 28 12:24:24 EST 2011

> Has anyone actually seen proof of this?  From what I've seen it will be up to
> manufacturers whether they provide some ability to sign your own code or not
> to work with their hardware.

We're talking about the same hardware manufacturers who take BIOS
software and can't even bother to get the DMI information to state the
make and model. As far as they are concerned, once it boots the shipping
OS their work is done.

The BIOS software authors aren't much better. I doubt you'd see the
ability to add your own signing keys to be a universal feature. And even
if it was, some manufacturers would turn that off to reduce support
costs.

It has always struck me that the enforcement of signed operating systems
is a textbook example of third-line forcing.  That is, a purchase from
Manufacturer A forcing you to only purchase from Manufacturer B. The
Trade Practices Act has words to say about that, and there's a stack of
ACCC enforcement action in the car parts industry, so this isn't a new
issue to them.

--
 Glen Turner <http://www.gdt.id.au/~gdt/>