[Linux-aus] Stand up for Linux. Stop Microsoft killing Desktop Linux.

Anthony Thyssen A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au
Sat Sep 24 20:19:19 EST 2011

On Fri, 23 Sep 2011 22:44:58 +1000
Adam Nielsen <a.nielsen at shikadi.net> wrote:
| > It as part of the Windows 8 OEM scheme Microsoft requires the OEM's to lock
| > down the computer to only run windows 8 or other "authorized" OS'es via a
| > signature system.[1] for "security" reasons.
|
| Has anyone actually seen proof of this?  From what I've seen it will be up to
| manufacturers whether they provide some ability to sign your own code or not
| to work with their hardware.  Can you imagine how much Dell would lose on
| their 30-day no-questions-asked guarantee if Linux people started returning
| thousands of new PCs because they couldn't install Linux on them?  Hell, I'd
| buy a bunch of new PCs just to return them if that ever happened :-)
|
| I don't think Microsoft would seriously consider requiring manufacturers to
| lock out other operating systems (that's just asking for trouble, MS aren't
| stupid) so I think people might be panicking a bit too soon.  Let's not forget
| all the hassle they had for merely preinstalling a web browser...
|
| I for one would gladly sign my newly compiled Linux kernel for the increased
| security it could offer.  Having recently had to clean up a rootkit, I look
| forward to the day when I can set my system up so that even root can't run
| binaries unless they've been signed by my distro.

The question is is this a hardware lock against the operating system, or is
does it just provent running unsigned software under the windows OS
(like cygwin).

I can not see manufacturers allowing hardware lockout, as a lot of business
and universities use things like PXE boot, bootable USBs, and DVD, just to
install and upgrade OS and software in labs and desktops.

A lock in the windows OS however would just mean that people would get very
upset with microsoft, so much I foreseen hackers reverse engineering the
OS to provide  'rooted' versions just like they do for the OS locked mobile
phones.

Really either way Microsoft is asking for major problems and backlash unless
a method to unlock systems, or sign personal software is also provided.

If that happens then the 'crackers' will have access as well, and that
is the whole point for doing it in the first place.

  Anthony Thyssen ( System Programmer )    <A.Thyssen at griffith.edu.au>