[Linux-aus] Stand up for Linux. Stop Microsoft killing Desktop Linux.

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Fri Sep 23 22:44:58 EST 2011

> It as part of the Windows 8 OEM scheme Microsoft requires the OEM's to lock
> down the computer to only run windows 8 or other "authorized" OS'es via a
> signature system.[1] for "security" reasons.

Has anyone actually seen proof of this?  From what I've seen it will be up to
manufacturers whether they provide some ability to sign your own code or not
to work with their hardware.  Can you imagine how much Dell would lose on
their 30-day no-questions-asked guarantee if Linux people started returning
thousands of new PCs because they couldn't install Linux on them?  Hell, I'd
buy a bunch of new PCs just to return them if that ever happened :-)

I don't think Microsoft would seriously consider requiring manufacturers to
lock out other operating systems (that's just asking for trouble, MS aren't
stupid) so I think people might be panicking a bit too soon.  Let's not forget
all the hassle they had for merely preinstalling a web browser...

I for one would gladly sign my newly compiled Linux kernel for the increased
security it could offer.  Having recently had to clean up a rootkit, I look
forward to the day when I can set my system up so that even root can't run
binaries unless they've been signed by my distro.

Cheers,
Adam.