[Linux-aus] What happened at the SGM?

Ryan Verner ryan at uanywhere.com.au
Mon Sep 5 19:13:56 EST 2011

----- Original Message -----
> For future reference blip.tv is easier to use that youtube is some
> ways.
> You don't need non open source software to view it, and its direct
> download links makes it easier for someone to move the video to the
> mirror.linux.org.au.  That is where it probably belongs.

You haven't seen blip.tv lately, have you?

They did some major UI redesign at the start of the year and all the nice things I used to like about it no longer exist.  Yes, they used to expose the direct download links / alternative formats, but that's completely hidden away now.  For example:

http://blip.tv/linuxconfau/lightning-talks-incl-html5-media-accessibility-update-4870511

I'd argue the place it 'belongs' is on the LA server with a nice HTML5 frontend, but that's infrastructure that still being built.  Youtube works, videos can be played back using non-free software (webm + html5), and videos will have higher visibility given - well, it's Google - search should, in theory, work ;-)