[Linux-aus] Linux Australia Code of Conduct

Javier Candeira javier at candeira.com
Wed Nov 30 21:58:32 EST 2011

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 9:53 PM, Brent Wallis <brent.wallis at gmail.com> wrote:
> Why not this:
>
> Code of conduct:
> Linux.conf.au presentations must adhere to the Australian censorship laws for a G rating.

As a non-Australian born member of this community, I would appreciate
this a lot.

"Appropriate for a 12 year old" is a different standard in different
cultures, and the assumption that we can all guess the appropriate
standard are is not very inclusive, and carries the risk of being
misinterpreted.

So here's a call for as explicit rules as practically possible.
Creative Commons does it right by having two documents: a
"human-readable" code that explains the intent, and a longer, more
technical legally binding license.

Unloading the meaning of "appropiate for a 12 year old" to the
censorship regulations seems to me to cover the dual purpose of
keeping the CoC short and readable while at the same time making sure
it's exhaustive and explanatory to people from different backgrounds.

Thanks everyone at LCA and the subconferences for the good work.

Javier Candeira