[Linux-aus] Linux Australia Code of Conduct

Paul Shirren shirro at shirro.com
Tue Nov 29 15:49:35 EST 2011

LA will have specific information about the sorts of problems
encountered by people at past FOSS conferences so the writers of the
draft would have some clear goals in mind.

We started with constructive criticism on a document aimed at meeting
those goals. It has turned into a monte-carlo simulation where a random
combination of film classification (not applying to films) and workplace
laws (not applying to employees) are expected to meet these goals as
effectively.

To make sure everyone has a safe and enjoyable time it is necessary to
comply with local, state and federal law and venue rules and probably
more. Those are necessary conditions. They are not sufficient. That is
why all events and venues also have T&C and possible a CoC.

The more I read the CoC the more it is growing on me. I think if items
like "making unjustified assumptions about attendees" are fixed it might
do. It is somehow fitting that PyCon still wins for conciseness and
readability although it is only a matter of time before some Perl
smartarse come up with a one line solution.