[Linux-aus] Linux Australia Code of Conduct

Russell Coker russell at coker.com.au
Tue Nov 29 14:12:59 EST 2011

On Tue, 29 Nov 2011, Brent Wallis <brent.wallis at gmail.com> wrote:
> But does not any conference in Australia have to adhere to their state/NZ
> equivalent of Worksafe (as is called in VIC)?
>
> If so, then would not the framework associated with such institutions be
> sufficient?

Presumably conferences such as "Sexpo" comply with all relevant worksafe laws.
But the consensus of opinion is that we don't want LCA to be like Sexpo (even
though it would be quite legal to do so provided that children were excluded).

So it seems quite clear that the minimum standards of workplace legislation do
not address the issues that are being addressed by the CoC.

> Rules concerning bullying and discrimination are already there.
> What's more, these rules are backed up by real laws with real bite should
> the need arise.

Of course there is nothing stopping someone from making complaints to the
police about criminal behavior.  In fact the CoC indicates that the conference
organisers will assist in filing a police report if appropriate.

One thing to note is that criminal cases take a long time to process and for
sexual offenses the probability of getting a conviction is extremely low.
When the conference organisers deal with the issue they can do so rapidly and
not be subject to a misogynist judge who thinks that the victim deserved it.

> IMHO the conference (any conference) is a place of work, and individual
> behaviour should adhere to the same rules as any place of work.
>
> Would that not cover what is needed?

Every company that I have worked for has had some sort of CoC that
significantly exceeded the legal requirements.  It may not have been printed
but everyone has a good idea of what is acceptable.

Why should LCA be different from all the other workplaces which have rules
that are more strict than legally required?