[Linux-aus] Linux Australia Code of Conduct

Brent Wallis brent.wallis at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 12:24:19 EST 2011

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 9:51 AM, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silvia at silvia-pfeiffer.de>wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 8:48 AM, Mark Walkom <markwalkom at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 28 November 2011 21:53, Brent Wallis <brent.wallis at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> If Linux Australia want a G rated conference then I don;t really
> >> understand how a bloated code of conduct is going to do to fix this.
> >> Why not this:
> >> Code of conduct:
> >> Linux.conf.au presentations must adhere to the
> Australian censorship laws
> >> for a G rating.
> >
> > This is probably as accurate as you will be able to get it without
> another
> > few months of to-and-fro.
> > With some provisions towards any behaviours like those mentioned, you'd
> have
> > a short but sharp CoC with more in depth stuff you can just point to via
> the
> > BSA for anyone that asks.
>
> Unfortunately, this only addesses one part of the problem: the
> speakers. This sentence would not cover any of the poor behaviour that
> we've seen previously and that got some people excluded from previous
> conferences. So, I think, as nice as a short one like this would be,
> it's not sufficient.
>
> Good point.
But does not any conference in Australia have to adhere to their state/NZ
equivalent of Worksafe (as is called in VIC)?

If so, then would not the framework associated with such institutions be
sufficient?
Rules concerning bullying and discrimination are already there.
What's more, these rules are backed up by real laws with real bite should
the need arise.

IMHO the conference (any conference) is a place of work, and individual
behaviour should adhere to the same rules as any place of work.

Would that not cover what is needed?
Rgds
BW