[Linux-aus] Linux Australia Code of Conduct

Paul Shirren shirro at shirro.com
Tue Nov 29 09:45:00 EST 2011

On 29/11/11 8:18 AM, Mark Walkom wrote:
> On 28 November 2011 21:53, Brent Wallis <brent.wallis at gmail.com
> <mailto:brent.wallis at gmail.com>> wrote:
>     Code of conduct:
>     Linux.conf.au <http://Linux.conf.au> presentations must adhere to
>     the Australian censorship laws for a G rating.
>
> This is probably as accurate as you will be able to get it without
> another few months of to-and-fro.

No bondage, violence or sexual imagery is required to offend people or
make them uncomfortable. If you can only think in terms of film and
literature classification you are missing the point.

I can do a G rated presentation with cute muppets where the brown
muppets pick cotton, the girl muppets stay in the kitchen and make
sandwiches, any muppet who looks or acts differently is made to sit on a
different bus and the muppets who can't climb stairs are left outside to
play.

So it isn't about censorship or G ratings. I would be fine with a
presentation on medical use of FOSS including pictures of surgery with a
warning. Same goes for forensics.

If we make a commitment to uphold certain values so that a broad range
of people feel like they can participate on an equal footing then lets
just get on and try and make it consistent and effective.