[Linux-aus] Linux Australia Code of Conduct

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Mon Nov 28 22:06:49 EST 2011

On Mon, 2011-11-28 at 21:55 +1100, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:

> LCA used to be an event where you could bring children along,

Children would be bored shitless, teenagers, likely wouldnt care too
much unless they were interested in FOSS.

>  and
> teenagers would be in a safe environment to learn about technology.
> Are you seriously suggesting there is nothing wrong with sharing
> content that the Broadcast Services Act would ban to a child-safe
> time?

That's exactly my point, the BSA would NOT ban anything I heard or saw
in that presentation.

Why, because it is a registered event, ie, joe blow just cant waltz in
off the street at will, like he/she is walking in and out of a shop.
Liken it to PayTV, which  has this language and depicted vision 24/7.

> I've watched the keynote and while it made me only mildly queasy
> (cause I'm old enough for such stuff), it immediately made me judge
> the speaker as unprofessional, non-technical and not worthy of an LCA

Times change. Kids these days tell their parents to F off, if I did that
when I was a kid some 40 odd years ago I'd have been skinned alive.

> keynote. I would have walked out if I had had my child along at that
> keynote.

you may have, many would not. as they say, "each to our own".