[Linux-aus] Linux Australia Code of Conduct - revised draft

Paul Shirren shirro at shirro.com
Mon Nov 28 13:58:50 EST 2011

On 28/11/11 12:45 PM, Russell Coker wrote:
> One example of photography issues that has been cited was when women gave the
> bird in the direction of the photographer as the last ditch effort at opting
> out of a photograph.  It seems to me that when every effort at communication
> less than giving the bird has been rejected the problem is not one of
> understanding but of being willing to accept disagreement.

We have the benefit of knowing the context from which this point has
arisen. A new attendee to LCA or a related conference may not understand
this and their entire life experience of photography may be different to
our expectations. Part of cultural change is education.

Requiring photography of an individual, alone or in a group, to
immediately cease on request from that individual seems perfectly
reasonable to me. Would explicitly stating that weaken anyone's
understanding?

"Unwanted photography" might lead people to think they need to check
their camera at the door or get signed permission slips. My memory is
that there was some pushback when the matter was discussed on list and I
think some of that was due to a lack of clarity about what was expected
of photographers who may have felt like they were no longer welcome.

I am playing devil's advocate a bit and trying to pick out bits that
seem weakest to me and if it isn't helping let me know before I get into
troll territory.