[Linux-aus] Linux Australia Code of Conduct

Paul Shirren shirro at shirro.com
Mon Nov 28 13:16:56 EST 2011

On 28/11/11 12:09 PM, elliott-brennan wrote:
>> Donna Benjamin<donna at cc.com.au>
>
>> We are trying to change the culture.
>>

> Fair enough too.
>
> Big "Be happy" messages would be nice and, as
> someone else has said, then make the specifics
> available for those who wish to more closely
> familiarise themselves. The link or location can
> then be shown in smaller detail.

I think cultural change is something you hit from a lot of different
directions. T&C probably need to be concise and broad. Organisers, since
they are transient, probably need access to clear and specific policy
for consistency. Attendees probably need a mixture of "Be happy" signage
to set the general mood and access to something "more detailed if they
want to take the time to get better informed.

I think DDU, PyCon, OSDC and similar are on the same page with taking a
strong position against discrimination and harassment. I don't know that
there are any rogue conferences in the stable.

There is some good stuff in the draft CoC and I think much is in
response to actual experience so is valuable. Unfortunately (to me at
least) some of it reads like a shopping list and I think needs more
detail before some items are actionable. For instance "making
unjustified assumptions about attendees" is a bit of a thought crime
isn't it?