[Linux-aus] Linux Australia Code of Conduct

elliott-brennan elliottbrennan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 28 12:39:48 EST 2011

> Donna Benjamin <donna at cc.com.au>
> Mon, 28 Nov 2011 08:34:36 +1100
>
>> >  http://www.volunteer.vic.gov.au/resources-for-volunteer-organisations/best-practice-toolkit/manage-your-organisation/policies-and-procedures/sample-policies
> Thanks Patrick - this is a great resource indeed.

Good oh.

> We are trying to change the culture.

Fair enough too.

I've not been to any LA sponsored conference
before but will be there next January. I'm quite
curious as to what the atmosphere is like.

> The past incidents at our conferences have not been as extreme and
> unwelcome as at others...

I'm curious as to how such thing are handled. Are
there specific committee members who are nominated
to assess the incidences reported and make decisions?

Is there a written protocol? What has been the
outcome in the past?

IANAL and though Susanne Ruthven (Hi!) has written
she IAL she reasonably wishes to ensure that her
comments are not taken as legal advice. Given
this, are the conference organisers seeking legal
advice about 'The Rules'? It would appear to be a
prudent thing to do.

I'm a 'plan for the worst; hope for the best' kind
of organiser when it comes to these things.

I agree with the 'broad brush' approach meaning
that organisers have some flexibility in
approaching any problems. However, my experience
is that there needs to be some specifics made
available to both guide the organisers and the
attendees. Too specific and you miss out large
swathes. Too broad and you risk making it too airy
fairy and so vague that unrequited behaviour
cannot easily be identified.

Big "Be happy" messages would be nice and, as
someone else has said, then make the specifics
available for those who wish to more closely
familiarise themselves. The link or location can
then be shown in smaller detail.

> Selena Deckleman wrote a fantastic blog post about the cultural change
> we're embracing.
>
> http://www.chesnok.com/daily/2011/07/23/getting-ready-for-oscon-code-of-conduct-and-cultural-change/

Thanks. Should be interesting reading.

Regards,